Monday 19 May 2014

Student Success! An Interview with Savon Claire Creator

Savon Claire is the brainchild of Claire Lohan, an ex-Plush Folly student who gone from strength to strength to get her where she is today. Here she talks to us about setting up a business, the highs and lows she has experienced and what inspires her... 

Firstly congratulations Claire on Savon Claire – the products and the website look absolutely fabulous.  I can see you’ve worked hard and now it’s time to reap the rewards! What made you decide to make and sell your range of products?

It was a combination of passion to really develop everything I had learnt and studied (and subjected my human testers too) and wanting to develop that as a business. Also being asked to make up orders for friends and friends of friends made me want to take the plunge!

What has been the most exciting moment during the setting up of and establishing your business?

There have been a few, from finally getting hold of the packaging I had been after and seeing the design process with the labeling to seeing the products photographed but I’d say finally getting to work with a fantastic design team for the website was one of the most exciting moments. I’m sure I drove them mad at times but they listened to what I wanted and came up with something I’m more than happy with. When it finally launched I was so excited I don’t know how I drove home.
What has been the worst or most disappointing moment?

It was a really personal part of this journey in 2012/13 when in the very short space of 7 months I lost the two most important women in my life, it completely floored me and made me really question everything I was doing. I was on the brink of throwing the towel in on the whole business.  It was a very dark time and place to be.  I found that picking up the perfume course I had put a hold on very shortly after to be really cathartic and therapeutic!  I can’t put into words how glad I am for that course, I found that focus I had lost and there’s something so healing about perfume and the process of creating and discovering scents. That course should be available on prescription!

What is the one bit of invaluable advice you would give to others embarking on a new business?

I’d say don’t be afraid to ask for help, I think sometimes we think we can (and must be able to) do everything!  In reality, we can’t, if it means getting expert help and paying for the right services then do it!  It’ll allow you to carry on with your business in the way you want to and stop all that detail sucking the creative life out of you! 

Your soaps look fabulous. What is the inspiration behind the ranges?

I was really inspired by Jo Malone and her story, I thought "wow, and she started at her kitchen table like so many of us"!  I love that clean, simple, yet very luxurious look of her products (in both of her businesses) and it’s something I hope I've brought through in my own products.  I wanted to bring something that is simple in its design yet vibrant and beautifully scented, something you want to use again and again.  A product that everyday makes you smile and feel special, leaves your skin feeling fab yet it’s affordable!

What is your favourite aroma and why?

Ah that is such a hard question!  Currently my favourite is Velvet Gaia; rich, smoky, alluring and quite mysterious!  Tomorrow it could be something else, it’s a mood thing for me, I love the way a perfume can evoke emotions and spark the imagination.

And finally, I know you undertook some training courses with Plush Folly.  How do you rate Plush Folly in terms of helping you?

In all honesty I would have to say Plush Folly have been invaluable throughout all of this, and I couldn’t have done it without them.  On top of providing fantastic courses (and you know the information you are getting is the right information) it’s the support during and afterwards, there’s a huge generosity of time and knowledge I doubt you could find anywhere else.  There’s also the amazing student community Plush Folly have grown on Facebook for past and present students from all around the globe, where everyone has such a great way of sharing, the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly (some of my CP soap attempts haha).

Thank you so much Claire, we wish you all the best for the future!


 To view the full Savon Claire range please visit www.savonclaire.co.uk

No comments: